Yes, I seem to have missed where you showed how principal component
analysis would apply to my simple example of ordering sets.

Pity. I would have liked to have seen PCA applied to the simple task
of ordering a set of people alternately by height or age.

Anyway, the good thing is that you can present no coherent objection
to what I suggest.

Your initial objection that my "contradiction" was just your
"variance", having fallen to the idea that what I mean by
"contradiction" is "not what people usually mean." And your second
objection that it is just PCA being forced to lapse into the obscurity
of a missed explanation.