On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 12:07:48PM +0100, Antonio de la Rosa wrote:

> Well, RPM distros are not Arch. You don't have real update in a year,
> for example. You have security updates. Do you can update Fedora
> versions with yum?. Centos for example, no. I don't know if fedora can
> be updated to another version now...

You can update Fedora with yum--it's not recommended--I think their wiki
starts with our advice, don't do it.  Then they say, if you must, this
could work.   I've done it without issue, but wouldn't do it on our
CentOS servers.

Fedora itself is also considered cutting edge, it's more or less the
testing ground for the RH commercial products.

> > 6) Fedora is not enterprise and there is no rpm-hell since fedora used
> > yum. yum+rpm even more simple to manage packages than pacman. And it's
> > FASTER than pacman!
> >
> ??????. Make rpm's packages is horrible. Dependencies is based in
> libraries detected. In Arch you have many support for make your
> packages, for fedora if you need a version for a package that is not in
> official repositories....,  well, you have to go to rpmfind and
> search...., if don't exists or is  for use in another distro rpm based,
> you need create the package. Well, you need download dev rpms now. Well,
> then you can't compile the package why the version of a dependency is
> not that you need...

It's far better than it was several years ago, however, if you mix
repositories, you can get into trouble.  You can add the yum
ignore-broken rpm (or something like that) and still find that it will
stop a 30 package upgrade because of one failed dependency, then, you
have to do it again with --exclude broken_package.   As for speed, I
certainly haven't found it faster than pacman.  I haven't done a
comparison (almost impossible for me, as Fedora will install so many
more packages by default, and it's a bit difficult to get a stripped
down functioning version) but subjectively, it certainly doesn't seem
faster than pacman.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Okay, so I battle evil. But I don't really win. The
bad keeps coming back and getting stronger.  I'm like that kid in the
story, the boy that stuck his finger in the duck.
Angel: Dike. (Buffy looks at him) It's another word for dam.
Buffy: Oh. Okay,that story makes a lot more sense now.