On 11/7/07, Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 12:07:48PM +0100, Antonio de la Rosa wrote:
>

> > Well, RPM distros are not Arch. You don't have real update in a year,
> > for example. You have security updates. Do you can update Fedora
> > versions with yum?. Centos for example, no. I don't know if fedora can
> > be updated to another version now...
>
> You can update Fedora with yum--it's not recommended--I think their wiki
> starts with our advice, don't do it.  Then they say, if you must, this
> could work.   I've done it without issue, but wouldn't do it on our
> CentOS servers.
>
> Fedora itself is also considered cutting edge, it's more or less the
> testing ground for the RH commercial products.

Yes, but it much stable than Arch, and have most resent software.

And you should update fedora using cd/dvd with anaconda instead of yum, yes.

> > 6) Fedora is not enterprise and there is no rpm-hell since fedora used
> > > yum. yum+rpm even more simple to manage packages than pacman. And it's
> > > FASTER than pacman!
> > >
> > ??????. Make rpm's packages is horrible. Dependencies is based in
> > libraries detected. In Arch you have many support for make your
> > packages, for fedora if you need a version for a package that is not in
> > official repositories....,  well, you have to go to rpmfind and
> > search...., if don't exists or is  for use in another distro rpm based,
> > you need create the package. Well, you need download dev rpms now. Well,
> > then you can't compile the package why the version of a dependency is
> > not that you need...
>
> It's far better than it was several years ago, however, if you mix
> repositories, you can get into trouble.  You can add the yum
> ignore-broken rpm (or something like that) and still find that it will
> stop a 30 package upgrade because of one failed dependency, then, you
> have to do it again with --exclude broken_package.   As for speed, I
> certainly haven't found it faster than pacman.  I haven't done a
> comparison (almost impossible for me, as Fedora will install so many
> more packages by default, and it's a bit difficult to get a stripped
> down functioning version) but subjectively, it certainly doesn't seem
> faster than pacman.

heh! man, read about yum-priorities plugin if you want to mix 3-d party
repo.
Also, wiki starts from "don't mix 3-rd party repos, unless you're clear know
what you do"
Read about "spins" if you want to create stripped down version.

Any way, fedora it's _just_an_example_.  I'm talking about arch-way, which
doesn't mean "unusable", it even doesn't mean "unstable". It mean "simple"!
Now if you have arch-desktop you should rebuild broken community/extra
dependencies themselves. It's not "simple" - it's ugly. If i want to build
50% of distro by hands i can choose gentoo.