325xi;184203 Wrote:
> Can you name it, the brand? Is it available online?

Well, pretty much any reputable network cabling company makes optical
patch cables, plastic, multimode or single mode. For comparison, my
speakers are connected with 12 AWG stranded copper cable from Home
Depot. So, yes, its available - its absolutely nothing exotic.

You know, you can try this out really easily yourself. You absolutely
don't have to believe me. And, as far as I am concerned, this kind of
experiment is fun.

The SB3 and Tp both have coax and optical links out simultaneously
active. Wire them both up to the destination device. E.g. my HT can
select input type).
Familiarize yourself with listening to your selected test track over
both inputs (optical and coaxial) as much as you like.

Cover your eyes and do something like the following (coopt the SO as an
assistant):
- have the assistabnt select coax vs. optical (so that you can't see it
and they don't tell you)
- write that selection down
- play a test track (of your selection)
- write down which you think it is.

Do it a bunch of times (say 20). See if you can tell the difference.
The key is for you to not know which one is selected when you take the
test or get any hints from the assistant. Compare your guess to the
selection. See if you correctly got significantly more than half of the
attempts.

This is admittedly not methodologically perfect at all, but it will
sure give you some intuition about the issue, far more than listening
to abstract discussions about fibre performance, optical emitter
characteristics, the audibility limits of single bit errors and
clocking errors.

If you know which one you have selected when you listen, it doesn't
count, because of all the issues I listed in my earlier posting.

I have now just knowingly stepped on the ABX/DBT/SBT landmine and
offended or annoyed several forum readers, so I this will be my last
comment on the issue.

--
Eric Carroll

Transporter-Bryston 3B SST-Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.4
SB3-Rotel RB890-B&W Matrix 805
SB3-Pioneer VSX-49TXi-Mirage OM7+C2+R2
ReadyNAS NV+