cliveb;264417 Wrote:
> Agreed. I started with a pre-Nirvana model in 1979, and the last update
> I got was the Lingo, which improved the bass of the LP12 quite
> noticably - most of the Linn "bloom" was gone, and is replaced by a
> much tighter bottom end. I haven't bothered with the Trampolinn or
> Cirkus or anything since.
>
> Did you actually get the Lingo, or was it the first upgrade you passed
> on?
>

> My ATCs replaced a pair of passive Isobariks and Naim 135s, and I've
> been delighted with them ever since. The ATCs simply annihilated the
> 'Bariks. I've still got the LP12 and Naim preamp - they are used for
> vinyl transfers.
>
> You mentioned that Linn's service costs are reasonable. So are ATC's:
> the triamp packs in my SCM100As were fully serviced a couple of years
> ago (including replacement of all electrolytics) at the ATC factory for
> a total cost of £150.

Clive - that's good to know re ATC service costs.

The Lingo was where I gave up with the LP12. I kept it for many years
and did some nice needle-drops with it.
I just felt that - when you you look at the Valhalla board and then the
lingo the relative component cost was similar - but the Lingo was in a
Linn case and so that adds hundreds to the price. If they had done a
lingo replacement for the Valhalla...which they could easily have
done...I'd have been happy.

I'm not surprised that the ATC destroyed the passive Bariks. However,
Aktiv Bariks destroyed everything in their day and really were awesome
IMHO. In some ways (ie their bass performance) I still miss them.

When I need to change it will be a shootout between active ATC's
and a Sugden Masterclass Integrated (or Audio Research VSi55) driving
Quad 2905's.
Cheers
Phil

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables