boxerboy;409542 Wrote:
> El Duderino:
>
> I think that a two channel audio system should be in balance. I believe
> that a financial ratio of 50% for speakers, 33% for amplification and
> 17% for sources is about right.
>
> I am very familiar with Aperian speakers and have purchased the 5T's
> for my daughter. They provide incredible value and performance at the
> price point of $1000/pair. They are especially well suited to Home
> Theater use.
>
> The Transporter sounds far better to me than the SB3. That said, I
> would save the price difference and apply the $1700 towards an eventual
> speaker upgrade.
>
> There are many free-standing DAC's that might provide better sound from
> your current SB3 into your 5T's that would cost less than a Transporter.
> I use a Channel Islands VPA.2 DAC in one of my bedrooms. It costs $599.
>
> Jim

Jim, thanks for the reply and the advice.

The plan is for an eventual speaker upgrade.  At this stage, I will
continue to work with the 5Ts because, as you say, they do provide
remarkable performance considering the cost. I do feel that they are
revealing enough that one would expect to see some sort of an
improvement between the Transporter vs. SB3.  On the other hand,
perhaps, it does take $5000 speakers to hear a difference...

With regards to using a standalone DAC with the SB3, the thought has
occured to me.  However, I imagine a Transporter would have likely
still been somewhere along my upgrade path, even if I were to use the
$1700 to buy a new set of speakers today.  Essentially, having
purchased the new speakers, I would be left wanting a better source
than an SB3/SB3+DAC...like a Transporter! I do agree that buying
speaker first and source later would likely yield more immediate sonic
benefits.

You state that the Transporter sounded much better than the SB3 to you.
I would be interested in understanding what parameters you felt were,
specifically, improved--or was it more of an "across the board" thing?

Thanks again.

--
El Duderino