Phil Leigh;543838 Wrote:
> Replaygain quick 101:
>
> 1) using something like Foobar will calculate the correct RG tags to
> achieve an RMS "loudness" of 89dB for each album. Separate tags are
> written (in each track) for the track on its own and for the album as a
> set of tracks.
> 2) Using the "SmartGain" option in SBS allows albums to play back with
> the correct relative loudness between tracks AND for random tracks
> across albums to play at equivalent loudness
> 3) Using Foobar to scan whole albums at a time avoids any "clipping" -
> track peaks are scanned and the "album gain" for each track is set
> accordingly
> 4) the RG tags are interpreted by SBS but applied in the player before
> the volume control settings are applied. RG has no knowledge of the
> volume settings. There is no need to dither as there is no change in
> bit-depth connected to RG itself and no complex DSP is involved.
>
> You could apply a fixed RG tag of +6dB to all tracks (and risk much
> clipping) or you could let RG calculate the tags first and then edit
> them to suit you.

Thanks for the info.

I'd only apply +6dB gain if Replay Gain says I have that much headroom
in the whole album (i.e. Peak_Album < 0.50)

To bad there is no mode to simply say "Full Scale Album" basically add
as much gain as the peak_album tag says there is room for. That's
exactly what the amplify in Audacity defaults to.

I use dbPowerAmp to add Replay Gain tags. dpPoweramp also has a Volume
Normalize that does what ReplayGain does but also has the option to set
Full Scale per track (not per album). They call it "Peak to Peak".
Meaning put Peak Data at the Peak of the Word (or DAC). But I don't
want to do that per track. But per album.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)