mswlogo;543842 Wrote:
> I'd only apply +6dB gain if Replay Gain says I have that much headroom
> in the whole album (i.e. Peak_Album < 0.50)
>
> To bad there is no mode to simply say "Full Scale Album" basically add
> as much gain as the peak_album tag says there is room for. That's
> exactly what the amplify in Audacity defaults to.
It sounds as if you'd like to use ReplayGain as a way of peak
normalising your albums. That's not what RG is for - it is specifically
aimed at equalising the perceived loudness during playback amongst
albums (or tracks). Incidentally, RG doesn't just use RMS level to
calculate loudness - it uses the Fletcher-Munson response curve. If you
want to peak normalise, you can do that easily with an audio editor
(such as Audacity), and you won't then be dependant on having a
RG-aware playback device.

But something is bothering me. From what you say, it appears that you
believe that if you have a track/album that peaks at -6dB (ie. 50%),
and you apply 6dB of digital gain to it (whether by normalisation or
with ReplayGain), then you'll increase its dynamic range. It does
nothing of the sort, of course. It will increase the source file's
noise by 6dB along with the signal. And since the noise floor in the
file is almost certainly way higher than that in your DAC, you won't
gain any benefit from the fact that you're now using an extra bit in
the DAC.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A