cliveb;543849 Wrote:
> It sounds as if you'd like to use ReplayGain as a way of peak
> normalising your albums. That's not what RG is for - it is specifically
> aimed at equalising the perceived loudness during playback amongst
> albums (or tracks). Incidentally, RG doesn't just use RMS level to
> calculate loudness - it uses the Fletcher-Munson response curve. If you
> want to peak normalise, you can do that easily with an audio editor
> (such as Audacity), and you won't then be dependant on having a
> RG-aware playback device.
>
> But something is bothering me. From what you say, it appears that you
> believe that if you have a track/album that peaks at -6dB (ie. 50%),
> and you apply 6dB of digital gain to it (whether by normalisation or
> with ReplayGain), then you'll increase its dynamic range. It does
> nothing of the sort, of course. It will increase the source file's
> noise by 6dB along with the signal. And since the noise floor in the
> file is almost certainly way higher than that in your DAC, you won't
> gain any benefit from the fact that you're now using an extra bit in
> the DAC.

Using audacity would be insane. dbpoweramp can do a whole library to
full scale in 5 clicks. But I want to do it by album. I managed to find
all albums over 6dB attenuated and boost them by 6dB. Took a few more
clicks. But I'd be doing it for month using audacity.

You're really having a hard time grasping this full scale stuff aren't
you.

If what you're saying were true, this test would have the same dynamic
range for all attenuation levels. It doesn't. Notice dynamic range
DECREASES with digital attenuation.

http://mysite.verizon.net/forumwebspace/RightMark/Test%20Reports/Volume.htm

It will "INCREASE" with digital gain up to full scale.

You're not really increasing/decreasing, your just putting the data in
the best performing part of the DAC. "Peak to Peak" as dBPowerAmp calls
it. You're not getting more bits. If it's over attenuated they are gone.
But you can move them up to the best part of the DAC.

Yes, noise is a big part of it.

When you push your data down, your pushing low bits it into noisier
(poorer performing bits) of the DAC. Then you increase the gain in
analog to get the level you want to hear, amplifying that lower bit
NOISE. By bringing it up you move the data away from the noising bits
and you bring your analog gain down to the level you want attenuating
the noise of the low bits.

All bits of a DAC are not equal. If they were equal (perfect) that test
woould have the same dynamic range for all attenuation levels.

You are assuming a DAC is perfect, even at 20bits. It's not.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)