pfarrell;543694 Wrote:

> Its not just rounding errors. Nearly all DSP is done by converting the
> time-doman signal to the frequency domain using a FFT. DSP chips are
> notable because they do a combined multiply-and-add function quickly,
> usually massively parallel processing. Nearly all of the time, they
> are
> actually working on floating point numbers, not the 16 or 24 bit
> integers that most audiophiles are used to talking about.

Yes, it's frequency domain stuff. Still, the Meridian document states
"Meridian’s DSP loudspeakers utilise 48-bit internal fixed-point
resolution."
cliveb;543914 Wrote:
> There's a very rational explanation for this: it's called expectation
> bias.

I've suggested this but to my mind, at this point, there is another
possibility.

It seems to me that any crossover will do EQ. This is in-band. I'm not
referring to difference in levels between bands - these might be
implemented with analogue gain. I'm talking in-band, the necessarily
DSP bit, assuming you have a DSP-based crossover. LOL.

Anyway, EQ via DSP is done by attenuation - you can't boost above 0db,
you can only push frequencies down.

I suggest (it's just a suggestion because I'm not an engineer) that
this might cause the Meridian system to be more sensitive to digital
volume control - because it's ALREADY got digital attenuation inherent
in the system. The digital volume control after the crossovers is
pushing the signal perhaps below the 20 bit level altogether.

I agree with mswlogo that the lower bits are lower performing - it's
not a black and white thing like we tend to discuss it. However I
believe with something like a TP, Benchark DAC1 or similar the effects
of digital volume - starting with 0db being a comfortable listening
maximum - are not audible. However, I don't think "starting with 0db"
is a valid assumption for the Meridian system since db are lost (for
certainly some and perhaps much of the frequencies) in the DSP
crossovers.

If someone can provide more technical information to refute my
suggestion I would be happy to see it.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Desktop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II