mswlogo;543857 Wrote:
> You're really having a hard time grasping this full scale stuff aren't
> you.
Er, no. *YOU* are having a hard time grapsing that all these
theoretical issues have NO BEARING WHATSOEVER in a normal listening
situation.

mswlogo;543857 Wrote:
> You're not really increasing/decreasing, your just putting the data in
> the best performing part of the DAC.
Quite so. But:
a). The noise floor of the programme material is vastly higher than the
DAC's own noise floor (and the point where DAC linearity degrades).
b). The listening environment will have a background noise level vastly
higher than the DAC's.
These two factors completely mask any benefit gained by operating the
DAC in its most linear range. (Within reason, of course. As always, it
is important to get the gain staging correct).

Here's your fundamental problem: you are unable to distinguish
perfectly valid theoretical issues from their real-world consequences.
You have heard an improvement in sound quality where there is none.
There's a very rational explanation for this: it's called expectation
bias.

mswlogo;543857 Wrote:
> You are assuming a DAC is perfect, even at 20bits. It's not.
I never said that. What I have been at pains to explain to you is that
the imperfections of DACs operating in their non-linear ranges are
beneath the threshold of audibility in a normal listening situation.

The only way you were able to objectively demonstrate the degradation
that happens when a DAC is operating in its non-linear range was to
prepare an artificial sample and boost the analogue gain to insane
levels. As I said in my very first response to you, "no sh*t,
Sherlock!". This is hardly a surprise to anyone. It's simply an extreme
example of what happens when the gain staging is wrong - very wrong in
this case.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A