darrenyeats;543926 Wrote:

> I agree with mswlogo that the lower bits are lower performing - it's
> not a black and white thing like we tend to discuss it. However, in the
> initial part of the attenuation the degradation is relatively small.
> Even the Squeezebox test results show this and I believe better DACs
> will have even lower degradation overall and especially in the initial
> region of attenuation. I believe with something like a TP, Benchark
> DAC1 or similar the effects of reasonable digital volume - starting
> with 0db being a comfortable listening maximum - will be measurably
> small and not audible.
>
> Darren

The SqueezeBox test as I read it says the degration is HUGE !! 4bits of
attenution (Volume 20 is 24dB) drops to 75dB dynamic range. Nearly 4bits
lost for 4bits of attenuation. It's practically behaving like a 16bit
DAC, that the low 8 bits don't even exist !!! It's behaving like a
16.2bit DAC.

If I did have a "Perfect" 16bit DAC. And attenuated 4bits. And there by
lost every I attenuted by, I'd get 72dB dynamic range, right? SqueezeBox
gets 75dB. You can't get much worse.

I agree other DACs will do better. But people keep referencing this
squeezebox test in defense as showing all is fine and it's showing it
couldn't be much worse.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)