David,

Thanks for responding.  The soil type is the same--glacial till--sandy with
lots of rocks in it.  We also get windblown laos from all the agricultural
fields to the west of us.  It's too late not to do it.  It's a project I've
been working on for about 10 years.  The weeds are the same:  we're named
them.  There's a huge long weed list, but we're just targeting spotted
knapweed, common  tansy, yellow and orange hawkweed, Canada and musk thistle.
Over a long period of time, we've gotten more and more support from road
residents who are willing to do handwork on their own right-of-ways to keep
from being sprayed.  "No Spray" attitudes are in the majority on this road.

I have in my possession Pfeiffer Field Spray that the county bought for me last
year and paid a lot of money for from JPI. We're just waiting to see what the
state does.  I talked at length on the phone with the lady in charge of
registering and I sent an email to her boss, the Director of Plant Industries,
whom I have met.  They could ask Hugh for ~$1200 in fees to register each
separate BD prep.  There are only two farms I know of in the state that are
certified organic, mine and one down in south Idaho.  I have no clue how many
families Hugh sells to in Idaho, but it can't be many.  He is registered with
the USDA.  If he had to register with every state in the union, he'd be
backrupt.

It's not going to be embarrassing for Merla.  Randy, the Chair of the Weed
Committee, has been harrassing me from the beginning.  He doesnt let an
opportunity pass.  He's even been chastized for it.  An easy solution to this
is not to use the Pfeiffer Field Spray on the road this year and make my own
preps this year.  It's just about buying and selling, not about the
preparations themselves.  People on the Weed Committee, who are supposed to be
neutral, are proponents of herbicide.  Where they should be supporting this
neighborhood project, they are very threatened.  Their paradigm is faulty
because it isn't holistic.  It's not about doing something about the causes of
weed infestation--overgrazing, chemicals, poor soil.  They're trying to cure,
short-term, one of the symptoms--weeds, and they have already failed even
though they spray 1/3 of all the county roads each year.  As you know, every
thing in the ecosystem affects everything else.  When land is owned by a timber
company for miles on top of a hill range and they go in there with a harvester
machine and take out the maximum amount of trees that they can by law, it make
the whole watershed drier.  When those county commissioners in 1999 O.Ked the
contract sprayer sneaking onto our road,  the general public recognized their
motivations and that they were off the wall.  That contributed to their not
getting re-elected.  Idaho code does not mention herbicide.  It talks about
containment, eradication, restoration.  We are doing all those things and we
have $2200 coming to us from the state of Idaho in a cost-share grant.  The
majority of the Weed Committee do not want us to get that money.    There are
changes that need to be made and it can at least be made on one road in this
county since we have had a chemically sensitive person who was very sick and we
at present have four persons with cancer, not to mention the dead fish where
the culvert was oversprayed. The state and county recognizes this, but the Farm
Bureau, the organization that most of the Weed Committee belongs to, doesn't

I don't want Hugh Courtney and JPI to pay the state of Idaho a red cent.  Idaho
has all kinds of fees that they charge for every little thing.  Why should he
have to pay the same fee per product as Eli Lilly or Monsanto who sell to most
every family in Idaho?  If I have to do this without BD because it will hurt BD
then that is our road's loss and the loss of Bonner County.  I understand your
concern, and I will take it into my deliberations.

Thanks again for your input,

Merla