David,

This is exactly what we're trying to do.  Last year, the county put the mowers
under the direction of the Weed Supervisor instead of the Road Supervisor and
our weed taxes that we pay every year went into a rotary mower mowing twice on
the paved part of the road--3 miles.  But it was late in the season when they
got that all together and we were into drought season. You can't use a rotary
mower on a dirt road during drought season.  It's too dusty.  We had a man
volunteer his sickle bar mower to us and just asked the county to pay his
diesel fuel.  Two people went out with him with "Men working" signs and they
did the other 5 miles.  Then with our new professional Stihl 085 weedwhacker,
my husband and some other men with their own weedwhackers, went along the
right-of-way and did everything that hadn't been done--the goldbricking
ranchers, the 50 absentee properties and by the bridges and mailboxes and the
part away from the road that the mower couldn't reach.  We wrote a good report
with a whole bunch of pictures every .4 mile to prove that we had actually done
it.  We could have have done it without that professional Stihl 085 that the
state bought us.

This was the first year, that we had actually contained the weeds.  We have
enough support now to finish the job.  Maybe we should just use methods that
most people understand--allelopathic plants, mulching, Biocontrols, handwork,
restoration seeding.  I just wanted to add my own touch of BD weed control to
the mix.

I just feel in my heart that the BD would help so much.  We already fabricated
a sprayer with a Shurflo pump and a professional trigger nozzle with adjustable
heads to go on the top of 50 gallon plastic barrels on the back of a pick-up.
They are wasting a lot of money by not letting us use the Pfeiffer field spray
and the spray rig.  We could still spray the weed peppers because they were not
bought.  They were either donated or I made them myself.  It's ashamed that the
Farm Bureau people would rather waste that money than see us succeed.  It's
terribly political to challenge the ole boy network in a small conservative
rural town in the state of Idaho.  They're jealous.  The Farm Bureau is now
funding a demonstration project at CENEX, the local coop store, with plots of
"herbicide", "do nothing", etc, to show that they too can do what we're doing.
It's so obvious.  The Weed Committee should support both groups...and they
are.  On March7, they voted to continue our moratorium on herbicide spraying.
The important change would be for the Weed Committee to do some serious
research on holistic management--and not spend all the weed budget on
herbicide.  We are now meeting monthly instead of twice a year.  Political work
is very slow and painful.

Merla