I got into programming for all the hot chicks. :)
Actually, I knew the future and it was all about information. I think that
True Names and Neuromancer had the most effect on me when it came to this
regard when I was younger. Everything was going to be about information and
computers would be in the center of it all. I knew the 'world wide web' was
coming and just had to coast a bit till I had access. As soon as I could, I
'obtained' a Unix account at Brooklyn College and never looked back. I never
really programmed before that other than the standard that just about
everyone did which was to 'hack' a certain poker program on their commodore
64/128.
So I got into computers by choice but not specifically for programming,
though its rather easy with the right skill set (math, logic, etc. )I
majored in psychology but never finished my degree.

To this day I use computers to make money but programming isn't all that I
do. I've done math for pay (multi-tier auction logic), archive digital
comics (8 terebytes total at home and 2.5 filled), edit articles (few know
this), publish, write, train, public speaking, research, and of course
program and consult. It's all about information, its all about computers,
it's just not 100% about programming.