The thing I did find myself getting angry about was the number of times some people said "this is not my country. I can't wait to leave". I think they should be escorted to the door, and someone who wants to be here welcomed in their place.

How long has the show been on? (How much have I missed?)

Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/31/04 01:48PM >>>
I was watching this series on PBS called "The New Americans" (GREAT SERIES!!!!).  Basically they document the lives of foreigners leaving their country and cominghere.  One of them was a Palestinian, and one night in his backyard he was tlkain with family and friends about the current situation.  Dude said he was tired of all the violence, and that it will never be safe and that it's crazy there.  The others insisted that he stayed, saying "what do you think our martyrs will say?"  he replied "i think the martyrs are stupid".  And that he's gonna go to the states and make a living.  he also added that it took america 200 years to get to where it is right now, so he's not waiting around for it to happen in palestine.

great show about foreigners comin over here.  i love it.  heartbrekaing stuff too :(

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Angel Stewart
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 12:41 PM
  Subject: RE: Nice people....

  You'd swear similar riots, beatings, and heinous mob acts of violence
  have never occurred in the history of the United States.

  As far as I remember, the United States had an extremely violent, and
  bloody history, with Americans being guilty of mass genocide and savage
  murders against unarmed women and children.
  If you dispute that I can find several examples during the civil war,
  and during the systematic destruction of the indigenous people that
  lived in what is now known as the United States.

  Blame your president for taking unilateral action against Iraq under
  false pretenses, and having no plan for managing and controlling the
  country afterward apart from the oilfields.

  But please don't imply that the Iraqis are worse than any other country,
  including your own with regards to rioting, or violence during its
  period of 'nation building'. And please don't imply that after America
  attacked Iraq that it does not have a responsibility to follow through
  on its promises and support the country and engage in "Nation Building"
  as Powel put it. Or was that all a bunch of sh**?

  Perhaps someone living on a little Caribbean island can look on with
  utter shock and horror, and may even legitimately be able to say our
  citizens never acted thus and reach a (in my view false ) conclusion
  that the Iraqis in general are subhuman and not worthy of any support or
  assistance.

  But America? Please. America certainly isn't a stranger to such horrific
  acts on the way to its present equilibrium.

  Pick up a US history book. It is doubly different to attempt to
  understand another society, if you don't even know where your own came
  from.

  -Gel