Dwight;

The NC PHRF base rating is 117 for the 38 Mk1 or Mk2, and 126 for the 35
Mk2. 9 seconds difference is consistent with the spread in your area. I
presume you have more wind than we do.

When I was racing regularly, my rating was 120 because of the keel mod. I
raced against a 35 Mk2 that was rated at 126 and we were fairly evenly
matched. I was faster upwind, and could outpoint him by 3 or 4 degrees, and
he was faster downwind. Race outcome was largely a matter of the time
difference to the upwind mark.

Pointing depends on the wind - the higher the apparent wind, the better I
can point. In typical winds (10 to 15 apparent around here; say 8 to 10
true.) I can point to 28 or 29 apparent. Above 28 I am pinched and lose
speed. The boat is fastest, according to the GPS which shows the velocity
towards the mark and not true VMG, when footed off slightly to about 30
apparent. Again, that seems to be pretty consistent with your experience.

I just looked at the current NC-PHRF information on line, and I see that The
Edge (the 35 Mk2) is now rated at 129, possibly because of the above deck
furler. I also see that Delaney, a 38 in Oriental that belongs to another of
the listers, is rated at 129 as well. Perhaps I should go back and get a new
PHRF rating? I never did apply for an adjustment for the fixed 2 blade prop,
and now I have a 140% roller furling genoa that tacks 18" above the deck, a
non-adjustable baby stay, a radically undersized cruising A-sail for a
spinnaker, and a radar arch  and dinghy davits on the stern.

I'm pretty sure all that would justify a 126 rating. I wonder how Delaney
got to 129?

Rick Brass

Washington, NC