From: CnC-List on behalf of dwight veinot
Sent: Mon 12/11/2012 18:11
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Keel mods vs Phrf Rating

Hey Ron.it's all about having fun and if you guys are having fun racing that
way that's great.but what you guys are trying to do with the numbers is very
complicated and much more complicated than a simple headsail adjustment IMHO.
Around here my boat rates 126 with and 144 without spinnaker, that is 18
seconds per mile in the difference for a mast head rig kite, I believe it is
more like 12 seconds per mile for a fractional rig.the base rating assumes a
jib greater that 110% with no difference between 135 and 150, but there is at
least one contributor on this list who knows more about that than I do so maybe
he will chime in.  When we use such ratings and had boats with and without
spinnaker in the same race I can almost guarantee that a spinnaker carrying
boat would always win, especially on evening races where the wind inevitably
dies out for the last legs.  On the positive side the boats that do not carry
spinnaker will always have a reasonable "excuse to lose"

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35 MKII, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS