Hey Ron.it's all about having fun and if you guys are having fun racing that
way that's great.but what you guys are trying to do with the numbers is very
complicated and much more complicated than a simple headsail adjustment
IMHO.  Around here my boat rates 126 with and 144 without spinnaker, that is
18 seconds per mile in the difference for a mast head rig kite, I believe it
is more like 12 seconds per mile for a fractional rig.the base rating
assumes a jib greater that 110% with no difference between 135 and 150, but
there is at least one contributor on this list who knows more about that
than I do so maybe he will chime in.  When we use such ratings and had boats
with and without spinnaker in the same race I can almost guarantee that a
spinnaker carrying boat would always win, especially on evening races where
the wind inevitably dies out for the last legs.  On the positive side the
boats that do not carry spinnaker will always have a reasonable "excuse to
lose"

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35 MKII, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS