The Frers 33 looks very interesting late 80's design. Nice support group with
40 member boats in their class association. Carrol Marine is a quality builder.
Photos show the boats are raced very competively with large crews. PHRF of 109
to 114.

The J-30 is a late 70's design and a different boat entirely, 10% shorter, 25%
lighter, with 575 boats built with a base rating of 144, indicating a slower
boat by today's standards. Compare with a 1992 J-92 who's rating is 96 and the
fun begins.

Our local PHRF fleet is small and we race with 5 boats non-spinnaker and 3
boats in spinnaker fleet in usually 4 to 8 knots. I race non-spin which
includes the smallest, a 21 foot 3 man Viper 640, to a C&C 37+. I think PHRF is
our best choice, but it's rarely fair when the Viper sails at our speed just
ahead of us around the course rating slower and we lose a place to a J28 that
finishes 5 minutes after us. That's PHRF.

If I had a little money, I'd buy a Beneteau Figaro II rating 102. If I had much
money, I'd have an Open 60. Go Vendee Globe!!

Still, I'm happy to own a beautiful C&C 34R.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R
Atlantic City, NJ