Thanks,

I do or have done some of what you describe. As I've said the joining files eliminates the multitude of tiny files, and adding names and labels in the various categories will keep things totally clear. I also take a step that takes the location of these files out of iTunes hands. For each book I create a folder and in iTunes/preferences/advanced, put the book in that folder. Then iTunes can't spread the files all over the place in unnamed folders.

Steve at Verizon wrote:
I use my iPods almost exclusively for audiobooks. My method for ensuring proper sequencing is:

In iTunes preferences, for the When insert CD option, I chose Show CD (instead of start importing). Then if the CDDB database doesn't have the tracks and/or disks differentiated, I select all and, with Get Info, name the album, Book Name nn, author as the artist, and, Books and Spoken as Genre. Then hit the Import CD button.
Each track can now have the track nn name, but be grouped in CD order.
When you make your playlist, the albums will be in CD order under the author (block select, drag and drop to playlist).

Also, if more than 9 CDs, be sure to number, 01, 02, etc, so that you don't have 10, 11, etc, betwe