Al Sparber wrote:
> From: "Gunlaug Sørtun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>> http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/tbm/demos/design_grunge.htm
>>>
>> In Opera: working just fine down to around 300px window-width, but
>>  that navigation becomes less user-friendly. Nice linear look on
>> narrow windows. Not well prepared for smaller screens - yet..?

> I'm not at all sure what you mean.

General advice: web developers should know how browsers work.

>> - see: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought>

> I don't believe in using the wikipedia. I personally think it's a
> dangerous thing :-) I believe in classic reference sources developed
>  by professionals.

Who said anything about _using_ anything? Links are good when one does
not want to spell it all out on a discussion-list. It is even recommended...

Most "professionals" develop limitations for what can be done. I don't
accept man made limitations in any field.

>> (I have no idea what Roger is "fixing" at the moment.

> It's back up now, and I still don't like it. I think we'll have to
> agree to disagree, because I like my technique much better and the
> alternative does not move me one bit :-)

Good. Even better that I wasn't even trying... :-)
I was just responding to your questions.

Others might be able to make up their own minds about the issue we have
discussed: how to use ems for dimensioning in different ways, and
achieve different results. Pretty powerful solutions can be created when
em-based dimensioning is combined with other units and rules.
---

FWIW: I don't use any of the mentioned solutions for anything other than
to scale small non-text objects in a text environment. I know how to use
them if I ever need them on a bigger scale though - because I am a
professional.

I do focus most of my attention on user-experience. Most users use
browsers, and I don't want to put any limitations on how they use them,
if that can be avoided. Thus I try to let browsers override my own
preferences, without hurting usability.
I win some, and loose some. No big deal as long as visitors don't suffer
any major losses.

I always collect information and build up my knowledge-base about
various web design methods and related stuff, regardless of whether I
find them useful or not. Prevents limitations from sneaking in, and me
from asking too many questions on various lists.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no