MEM wrote:

> I understand that the "not displaying of the background images" were not
> related with the not acceptance of the image, or the unsupported property
> for some reason, or conflict, or any other thing, now, and only now, I can
> understand that, we give zoom to give full height and, this means that, by
> giving full height the background images will appear.

I do not know if this is the case. Saying that giving layout to IE7- on
an anchor to *give it full height* is completely wrong. The true
rendered height of an anchor is due to either,

1. A height (20px or 2em) directly given to the element.

2. A height (100%) given to an element which relates to the height of
the parent element.

3. A height due to its contents height, either a descended element or
anonymous line boxes (text).

Another layout trigger is this.

a {height:1%;}

This height is not used by any browser if the parent element does not
have a height itself (see point 2. above) but because height is a layout
trigger [1], then the element has layout according to IE7-.

Another way to understand hasLayout for IE7- is to imagine that each
element within a document has a wire that is attached to a *switch box*
which in turn is connected to a *power generator*. When you flip a
switch, a charge of *electrical current* is supplied to a particular
element which make it stand to attention.

Another way to understand it is that an element without layout is like a
human body without a skeleton.

Here are some examples of elements with layout or no layout. Test in IE6
or IE7 against any good browser.

<http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/flicker-transparent-background-hover.htm>

or

<http://css-class.com/x/ie6-haslayout-extra-width-list1.htm>
compared to
<http://css-class.com/x/ie6-haslayout-extra-width-list2.htm>

or

<http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/ie-float-right-expansion-bug1a.htm>

or

<http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/haslayout-margin-abpos.htm>

Depending on the conditions (styles, etc.) or structure of a document
each of these methods can be used to give layout to an element without
affecting the rendering in compliant browsers.

a {zoom: 1;} /* Does not validate */

a {height: 1%;}

a {min-height: 1%;} /* For IE7 only */

a {width: 100%;}

a {overflow: hidden;} /* For IE7 only */

a {overflow: auto;} /* For IE7 only */

I still have not even got to the point of helping you understand the
difference between :active, :focus or outline (test case coming) so I
wouldn't know if the problem is due to an element *without layout*.

1. <http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html#prop>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/