On 19 janv. 07, at 15:45, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

why is the translate toolkit necessary ?

Sorry to have brought the thread to a place far from where I expected it to go...

Anyway, I installed the translate toolkit and read the documentation and I eventually figured out that we need it basically for is:

1) convert the POT files to PO files
2) merge previous compendium to the current file

There is a whole paragraph about the specificity of the OOo localization file format all the rest of the document is about translation itself.

But according to Damien in the other day's IRC:

[21:58] damiend We (Sun) extract POTs AND PO from the sources daily....

So we don't really need to convert POT to PO anymore. Do we ?

So the purpose or the translation toolkit is basically only to merge the compendium files, Am I misunderstanding something ?

I understand that the current document is based on 2 years old data, so it may be that my questions are not relevant at all any more. But I'd like to contribute to this how-to, at least to separate it in two as I suggested the other day, so I welcome any comments.

Jean-Christophe