On 19 janv. 07, at 19:48, Ain Vagula wrote:

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

Ain,

Thank you for the precision. As I wrote to Clytie I did not mean to
sound harsh.

As I am far from understanding the actual job of a team leader
(Sophie is "my" leader) I'll wait a bit before making proposals here.

As I wrote in my first post, the French team received .xlz files
created from the original .po. I did find that funny since OLT comes
with a filter that is very simple to use and that allows translators
to convert to .xlz if they need it. Besides, there was an encoding
problem in our files so I had to de-convert the .xlz back to .po and
to translate it in OmegaT etc.

It is dangerous - you have original sdf-template and to get translated sdf
you have to convert your translations 4 times ;)

Well, I did not choose to have .xlz files in the first place ;)

But I understand what you are saying. As for the sdf files, I have yet to understand what their purpose is. Are they an intermediate format ? Sorry for the beginner's question, I am not at all familiar with the back end here.

By the way, I noticed that xliff files are stored in packed format, xlz? It means that when using xliff as only intermdiate version, without po- step,
you'll not have any overview over changes in version control system?
Its only a question, not statement - I dont know almost anything about
deeper mechanism of version control.

VC is fine for some processes but I think it is a little too much for our purposes. As long as you have past documents stored as translation memories (TMX) you don't need to have VC at all anymore (at least if you mean VC the way I mean it). If your text has already been translated it will be there in the TMX and either you have a system to automatically update it or you do that manually.

There are a number of issues related to TMX: do we store everything as sentences, or as paragraphs etc. And if we leave translators free to use the process they want, how do we guaranty that they deliver a TMX with the final document.

That is where XLIFF comes in: as long as the delivered document is XLIFF it is trivial to extract a TMX from it for recycling in the next translation. etc.

Sorry, I think as I type and maybe that was not the kind of answer you were looking for.

JC