On 1/20/07, Jean-Christophe Helary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 19 janv. 07, at 15:45, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> why is the translate toolkit necessary ?

Sorry to have brought the thread to a place far from where I expected
it to go...

Anyway, I installed the translate toolkit and read the documentation
and I eventually figured out that we need it basically for is:

1) convert the POT files to PO files
2) merge previous compendium to the current file

There is a whole paragraph about the specificity of the OOo
localization file format all the rest of the document is about
translation itself.

But according to Damien in the other day's IRC:

> [21:58]       damiend We (Sun) extract POTs AND PO from the sources
> daily....

So we don't really need to convert POT to PO anymore. Do we ?

Why to extract po-files? I've kept one set of po-files over 2 years
and only merge this to newly created pot-files. Without toolkit btw,
using simple shell script with some gettext commands.

Basic knowledge about creating pot-files may be needed, when team
needs different options, eg. languages similar to en-US (en-uk,
en-etc...) certainly dont need kde-style unique identifiers.

ain