On Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:59:09 AM Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:41:16 AM Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >> I'll assume that this is fine and no one objects. I'll announce this
> >> on the user list later today.
> >
> > *THAT* I have a problem with.    I don't consider these any different
> > than our nightly snapshots or a different commercial "build" of an
> > Apache project.   In both of those cases, announcements about them or
> > promoting them over the official project supplied releases is, IMO, not
> > acceptable on the *users* list.
>
> I'm not promoting them over official project releases because there is no
> official project release, or nightly, that incorporates the fixes users
> have been asking for. This is a build Benjamin and I created to help users.
> I will not post anything on the user list, if as a PMC member you're
> telling me I can't.

I'm saying you can't make a "general" announcement about it as it would be no
different than making announcements of commercial versions of projects (that
contain things like fixes and features not available from Apache builds) on
other projects users lists.   The fact that builds are specifically labeled
"sonatype" really emphasizes the "commercial" nature of these builds.

In this particular case, if a specific user asks a question or has an issue,
in a reply to that user, you can mention it, but make clear in the response:

1) There are non-sanctioned builds of Maven not endorsed by the Maven project.
2) It contains code and fixes that have not been incorporated into Apache
Maven, not even to trunk.
3) As such, any fixes (or new bugs) may not be present in a future version of
Maven.
4) They are using such builds at their own risk.
5) Due to the above, it's not recommend to use these builds in any sort of
production scenario.

At the end of the day, if you really cared about the Maven users, you'd help
us get an official Apache version of 3.0.4 out.   The fact that you are
unwilling to do what is necessary to make that happen is very frustrating to
me.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp