Le 09/11/2013 11:28, Jacob Carlborg a écrit :
On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 08:32:24 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

Given French's more limited vocabulary and resistance to adding new
words,
translating technical terms has got to be a royal pain (and then
L'Académie
Française gets ticked when folks use English words for new stuff). I
had my
desktop in French for a while at one point, which definitely improved my
vocabulary. For better or worse, a lot of technical words seem to get
translated very literally, which gets interesting sometimes
(particularly when
there doesn't seem to really be a direct translation available). But I
expect
that it's often the same in other languages, though maybe some of them
are
more open to just using the English word.

I can tell you that when I talk about programming or computers in
Swedish I use a lot of English words. Many words don't have a good
translation and just sound weird. If I would to translate "slice" into
Swedish it would probably be "skiva", especially if we're talking about
a slice of bread. But if I would say "skiva" when talking about
programming to someone else they would probably say "WHAT?" and have no
idea what I'm talking about.

We surely would get the same kind of reaction for "tranche" in French. But you are not sure people will understand "slice" correctly, even if they can be kind of familiar with the word (e.g. because of the slice method of the Array object in Javascript). To understand "slice", maybe some people will even try to translate it.

I think it is just a matter of habit, and your Photoshop example tend to confirm it. When you used the word one time and explained it, people will start to understand you, and as you use it, people will get used to it and start employ it. Or not, an then it is time to fall back to the Enligh version of the word. So why being concerned by trying the native word first? Well, because it is native and it can help the appropriation of the concept behind it for people which don't master it. Maybe I'm wrong.

For slice, it seems it is a concept to be defined for each programming language anyway.

It still remains important to give the English word in lessons to be able to communicate with the rest of the word, and to be understood by people who already know the English word. Agreed.

I'm using all my software in English. One time I was going to use
Photoshop at school and they had the Swedish version. I couldn't find a
single thing by looking at the names. Just hoping you're remembering the
locations of the buttons and the menus.

--
/Jacob Carlborg