John,

At one time it was not technically possible for a robot station on semi
(or for that matter on fully) automatic, to be able to detect diverse
signals in the pass band.

There were some who said it could not be done. Well, it HAS been done.
Do you understand this?

Your acceptance of this kind of QRM is no longer acceptable to
reasonable amateur radio operators who now know that there is this new
technology developed by Rick, KN6KB, the current Winlink 2000
programmer. I have personally tested it when he incorporated it into the
SCAMP mode and it is superb.

Most of us now expect (perhaps demand) that further development with
automated digital modes and equipment will include the ability to hold
off transmitting until the channel is clear. If this doesn't happen then
the best that can be said is that these operations would have to be kept
in small subbands, similar to the current fully automatic subbands (that
also include the wide band semi-automatic operations).

My preference, and I think you will find the preference of an increasing
number of hams, is that any automatic operation that has no auto detect
for a busy channel should be banned from the amateur radio bands.

That is a very reasonable position to take considering the available
software technology.