I have been in this position before. What worked for me was to:

A) Agree that consistency is very important in usability a large percentage
of the time; thank my critics for helping me keep an eye out for
inconsistencies, since I want to avoid them as much as possible.
B) Explain that there are pros and cons to every decision we make in
usability. Often, there can be multiple solutions that solve the design
problem at hand. One of the potential solutions may be inconsistent
according to one factor, but the other potential solution causes a bigger
usability problem. Usability decisions are often not always straightforward
and simple to make.
C) Mention that when people ask me, "Which is better, X or Y?" The answer is
usually, "It depends", followed by a lot of questions about the user, goals,
tasks, context, etc. (Also, see this comic for some minor therapy:
http://www.ok-cancel.com/comic/99.html)
D) Point out the pros and cons of each proposed solution and discuss which
factors should be weighed more heavily based on the targeted personas,
system goals, etc.

Example: I once designed an interface that had a really long column header
(36 characters) for a value in a table that was only two characters in
length. The full term was used in other places as well and really shouldn't
have been abbreviated in other contexts. There was a shortened version of
the term (8 characters) that I felt still captured the meaning of the full
term, would not confuse users (because of the context it was used in) and I
was out of space (there was a lot of information in the table and it was all
essential, so nothing could be cut). Using the full term would have forced a
horizontal scrollbar, which was very undesirable. So, in that case I felt it
was best to be inconsistent by using the abbreviated term in the table
rather than the full term.

There was some pushback from the team, but I explained my reasoning, pointed
out how it could be worse (I was just abbreviating, not using a rarely-used
synonym), that being inconsistent by abbreviating here and not elsewhere
wasn't my first choice, but that I felt that this was the best usability
decision to make in this scenario. After that, things seemed to go more
smoothly for me. My critics understood more about my job and were more
polite when helping me identify inconsistencies.

Hopefully this helps! Good luck!
Stephanie