People aren't consistent, why do we expect interactive software
always to be so?

One attitude I notice is what I will call product egotism.  Design
critics imagine people are obsessively focused on how every part of a
creation behaves, then experience a mental meltdown when the mental
model they someone created was violated.  The user's psychological
well being is somehow dependent on the product behaving in a
predetermined manner.

In truth, most interactive products are used so infrequently that
users never develop a mental model of that specific product.  For
them, the product looks a bit like one thing, and a bit like another.
 They may use only parts of an application or encounter pieces at
different times so that they never remember what they saw before.
This description doesn't hold for something used daily like
Microsoft Word, but it is true for nearly everything else we produce.

For example, users rarely see different screens of an application
that present different error messages, so it hardly matters if how
the error message is handled differs.  It may make sense to handle
the error the same way from a production perspective, and such
consistency might be acceptable to users, and therefore recommended.
But only in rare cases will users be driven to fits of frustration
because of inconsistency.

The user need isn't so much consistency as it is to be "familiar
enough" to understand and use.