On Oct 14, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Jeff Noyes wrote:

Are their facts (white papers, reports, etc.) that suggest deviation is acceptible. Perhaps reports that show that consistency for your equaled
poor usability?

A little late (I was tied up with UI13), but here's an additional resource that goes along the same lines as what Todd suggested:

Consistency in Design is the Wrong Approach
http://is.gd/4jvE

Current Knowledge is a much better way to think about the problem.

Consistency in design is about making elements uniform — having them look and behave the same way. We often hear designers talk about consistent navigation, consistent page layouts, or consistent control elements. In each case, the designer is looking for a way to leverage the usability by creating uniformity. After all, if the user learns to operate the design in one place, why not have that knowledge transfer to the next. This is all good. But wrong.

Continue reading: http://is.gd/4jvE

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks