This story reminds me why I don't blog as much as I'd like to.

I read the response by Mr. X - NOT as a vindictive diatribe on the ails of
his large company - but as a letter I have almost written several times.
It's from a guy who sees his company's (and his own) work slashed in public,
and feels the need to speak out about it.  He felt guilty - both that his
own work wasn't more apparent in his company's web site, and that his
company can't move as fast as his impression of smaller, leaner companies.

For the record, many small companies (I've run the gamut from 5-guy startups
to 120K multi-nationals) have many of the same issues as large ones, just on
a different level and scale.

All companies have too few resources, not enough budget, too many ideas, and
too few executioners.

The greatest mistake I ever made, working for my first big company (70K
employees back in 1996) was thinking they were big enough to have solved all
of the little problems.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  It took 4 years
at that company, and another 4 at my next big one (120K folks) before this
sank into my thick head:

"Both large and small companies not only suffer from similar problems, but
they repeat them over and over again - because every company is comprised of
human beings, all of whom want to leave their own mark on their respective
organizations."

Over time, I have evolved a few mantras that (for me, at least) ensure my
design work makes it to production intact:
*  Always assume, despite all evidence to the contrary, that most people
want to deliver quality work
*  If you feel your company is too slow in delivering quality, most likely,
everyone else does, too
*  If you hear "that's impossible", you're not providing enough of a
solution
*  If you hear "we don't know how to do that", you need to show them how
*  If no one else will do it, figure out how to do it yourself
*  If you get pushback from management, marketing, sales, support,
operations, development, or the PMO office, then you're not involving them
in your design process
*  If you don't like the bureaucracy, figure out how to change it
*  Never bash your own company/department/colleagues in public.
*  If you disagree with a group or person in the way of progress, talk to
them about it, or drop it and move on
*  The folks who drive real change in large companies don't do the leg-work.
If you want to make a difference, climb out of the cube, talk to people, and
claw your way to a level where you can affect real change.  If you're not up
for that, stop complaining. Yes, this can take years (and has).

It's far too easy to criticize from the outside, or from your own small silo
in a very large company.  Actually doing something about it is actual work.

I have no idea why Mr. X was fired, but it seems highly unlikely that it was
for caring.  Big companies are very finicky beasts, and there are a whole
host of reasons why they control all communications very tightly.  I'm sure
AA's marketing and legal departments are filled with folks whose career is
to protect the company's integrity and stock price.

Bryan Minihan