Indeed.   If you want to design in a large corporation, you need to
master back office politics.  Everyone has their own agenda and
thinks their own stuff is the most important and they will have all
their reasons to back it up.

A much more informative article would be one that shows the steps
needed to get real change.  I'm guessing it would take probably one
to two years to get there.   Maybe start small with some usability
testing, argue the on the front of improved customer satisfaction and
fewer complaints.  If you can build a solid base to work from, then
you could begin to change things, one piece at a time.  I don't
know.  But if someone has done it I know I would love to know how.

Brian