From: Jared Spool [mailto:jsp...@uie.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:53 PM
To: Nick Gould
Cc: disc...@ixda.org
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Dustin Curtis, UX Design, and American Airlines

On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Nick Gould wrote:

> Todd: The AA employee didn't "post to a public forum," he sent an
> email to Dustin and then foolishly allowed it to be published
> anonymously. AA then searched its Exchange logs for the text in order
> to identify and fire him.

To be fair, we haven't heard AA's management's side of this.

We don't know if the AA employee had a record of reckless behavior. We
don't know if there were other incidents involved. We don't even know
if the story of discovering the employee through the Exchange logs is
even true.

AA is a company that has union rules to follow. While the designer
wasn't likely a union member, a company that large with those
constraints typically has huge HR constraints. They can't fire someone
on a whim, without proper warnings and documentation.

So, I'm betting there's more to this story than we know. I think it's
foolish of us to reach judgements based on conjecture and hearsay
about what happened.

> Also, I fail to see what any of this has to
> to with the AA "business model." Dustin well understood the
> business but ignored the political obstacles in the way of creating a
> purely user-centric aa.com. In my experience, a company's internal
> politics often cause it to act in contravention of it's obvious
> business interests.

In fact, we have no evidence that Dustin's design is actually user-
centric. Have you used it? Have you seen anyone use it?

It looks great. It smells great. But, does it, in fact, do the job it
needs to do?

Again, it feels like we're jumping to conclusions here.

Jared