There's so much irony and contradiction in this email that, well, I'll just
address them below...

On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Alan Wexelblat wrote:

> It's my opinion, as I said in the original message, that it's a story about
> how UX fits into large corporate culture.  And, yes, it's also the case that
> Curtis doesn't understand how the external face of the company (the AA site)
> is produced.[..]

That's just it. Part of UX is about understanding the business. Why, why, why
don't UX people get this? A great UX designer, and I use the term designer
loosely, understands the importance that the business model has in the grand
scheme of UX. If you don't get that, then you fail right out of the gate. This
guy didn't get that.

I think it's a shame that AA fired someone who cared so much about the customer
experience on their site. However, that's where my sympathy stops. As an
employee of the company and a designer, this guy needs to understand that there
are things much bigger than his personal feelings and attitudes at stake here
and should've considered the recoil of posting to a public forum from his
company computer. Not too bright.

> Redesigning a Web site is easy.[...]

Screeeeeech (sound of brakes coming on). Clearly it's not. Your comment above
even blatantly communicates that. Redesigning a website of a global business is
not easy. There are a lot of factors that come into play: business goals,
customer goals, legacy issues, technology platform, available resources, time,
budget, impact of the change, etc. We're not talking about redesigning the
website of a local bakery here, we're talking about redesigning the website of
a global ebusiness. Downplaying that is dangerous to say the least.

> Redesigning the user experience for a big complex company is hard, even
> leaving aside the problems of AA's particular corporate culture. But it's an
> important problem for UX professionals to understand.

And part of that UX is the website. You're totally contradicting yourself here.

> Or at least, some of us.  If it's not important for you, and you already know
> it all, great. Mazal tov.  But please don't piss on others' conversations.

Hey kettle, you're black.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
Principal Designer, Messagefirst