BrynClarke;444934 Wrote:
> I've come in late to this discussion - I have rebuffering on everything
> - Internet radio live, BBC Listen again, QNAP NAS FLAC, QNAP NAS MP3...
> Runs for about 10 seconds then stops and rebuffers for 20.  I have SB3,
> wireless, and other things (several laptops, PS3) use the wireless
> network, so I'm starting by assuming that the wireless network is the
> problem.  I recently did a clean install of latest SqueezeCenter on
> latest firmware on QNAP TS109.  I have a Draytek Vigor2600G router.
> Signal strength to the SB3 is only 25-30% and network test shows, on
> practically any speed up to 1500 kbs, 10 seconds of 100% then dipping
> well below that and slowly climbing up again.
>
> My question (happy to start new thread or find another thread if this
> is inappropriate here) is simply what remedies are available?  I can't
> change the geography of the house or go wired, so do I need to
> investigate different routers, or can I piggy back two routers and
> dedicate one for music streaming, or...  I need to know what my options
> are, so, in the first instance, where in this community or elsewhere to
> seek advice.
>
> All help gratefully received.

Are you sure you are using the least occupied WLAN channel?  Check with
Netstumbler how many of your neighbors are trying to use the same
channel as you. If any other channel is less occupied, move there. Or
switch on automatic channel selection, if your router supports it.

Failing that, I think your two best options are move to draft 802.11n
in the 5GHz band, or use HomePlug(tm) or similar ethernet powerline
adapters. Either way, you're going to be spending some money.

In most countries there is plenty of bandwidth in the 5GHz range used
for 802.11a and draft 802.11n equipment. Your best bet is to use MIMO
equipped 802.11n adaptors (ones having two or more antenna), which can
largely compensate for the additional RF propagation path loss
experienced when moving from 2.4GHz to 5GHz frequencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

I have has success with Apple's Airport Express units as a means to
provide draft 802.11n/5GHz connectivity to all my Squeezebox units.
These need to be supported by a suitable 802.11n/5GHz or dual-band
router, of course. You can bridge from your existing network using an
Airport Express, or replace the whole kit and caboodle with a new
dual-band router.

Several users here have reported success with HomePlug type powerline
adaptors, and this would be worth considering as well.

--
dsdreamer