Good Evening,

   It was a good week.  Sunny and chilly, now wet and foggy.  On Wednesday I was out pruning when I saw a largish, white raptor ridge soaring past.  The next opening gave me more markings.  An elbow patch underneath the wing and little color.  It seemed familiar, accipter of Oregon was my first search.  I got five hits but none of them fit.  For some reason most photos show hawks from above.  When was the last time you saw a hawk from above?  I digress.  I grabbed my Hawks field guide and searched for regional falcons.  Still no luck.  Then I scanned the photos of the underside of the wings.  That got me the right markings but it was not a falcon, or a hawk.  It was an osprey.  Must have been soaring from the Tualatin River watershed north to the Columbia River.  Incorrect assumptions led me astray.  The pointy wings, which hinted accipter, were really him while he was slowing down by "crowing".  Since there are no rivers or lakes nearby I did not think of a water bird.

  A CME hit today.  The auroral oval is very much awake. However, the solar flux rate is down to 77.  This suggests noisy conditions with QSB, of course.  There are some sunspots too.  One of them is active and aimed at us.  You never know.

Please join us on (or near):

14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday (3 PM PDT Sunday)
  7047 kHz at 0000z Monday (5 PM PDT Sunday)

   73,
      Kevin. KD5ONS

-

Slide rule: Post Versalog II, far, far away

Drafting set: Dietzgen, five feet away

Triangle set: Post, five feet away

Mechanical pencil: Kohinoor, eight feet away

Architectural ruler: within arm's reach

Engineering ruler: five feet away

Closest drawing board, with T-square: ten feet away

Mechanical drawing classes: 2 years in high school, 1 semester in college.

Typing class: 1 year in high school -- topped out at 65 wpm

16 years of training by a WWII Marine Corps Drill Instructor: priceless :)

I use my typing skills every day.  The construction techniques I learned in mechanical drawing help me draw with modern CAD tools about once a month.