On 3/16/2012 10:31 PM, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>    Just how do you 'market' a free item/product? The free LinuxCNC software
> is not even a loss leader. The whole thing is free - all the time - even
> the advice - even the help.
>    Just asking.
> thanks
> Stuart

Stuart:

When I was a neophyte researcher just starting out at Argonne National
Labs (about the same time Jimmy Carter was sworn into office), my group
leader sent me to a short course in marketing. Marketing is a foreign
concept to most new graduates. They think, as I did at the time, the
degrees we won are proof of our worth, which is utter nonsense.* Whether
in competition for dollars or eyeballs, one has to market oneself and my
group leader wanted to be sure I understood that. In theory, good ideas
win out. In practice, they need help.

I don't think I'm suggesting anything radical, just a rethinking and
reorganization of some information so it's obvious why someone would
choose LinuxCNC, whether for home or work. Wherever the information ends
up, I'd feature its presence prominently on the home page of the website
and the home page of the wiki. Pictures never hurt.

Like I said, it's just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

*a friend once declared that

-a bachelor's degree proves you went to class
-a master's degree proves you found the library
-a doctoral degree proves you started and finished a project once