On 3/16/2012 10:31 PM, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>    Just how do you 'market' a free item/product? The free LinuxCNC software
> is not even a loss leader. The whole thing is free - all the time - even
> the advice - even the help.
>    Just asking.
> thanks
> Stuart

Stuart,

Marketing is marketing, whether for profit or for non-profit.  Even if
free, you still want to be able to "give" it away.  Like Kent mentioned,
Case Studies and perhaps Testimonials are our "Free" advertising.
That's the kind of stuff that needs to be in big, bold letters for folks
looking at our stuff and wondering whether it's worth their time and
effort to install the software, and become part of our user base.  We
need to show them what the software can do for them, how our support
works, and how it all benefits them.

Otherwise, if they see no benefit, they'll say the hell with it and
become a Mach user.

Mark