2012/3/17 Jack Coats <j...@coats.org>:

> What companies seem to want to purchase is not 'software' and
> 'hardware'.  They want solutions.

Yes, exactly!
Unfortunately my clients tend to ask, what kind of solution they are
paying for and what am I going to implement and then it would be nice
to show them a page, where at least some of the best LinuxCNC examples
are mentioned so that they can be assured that my solution (meaning
LinuxCNC) can be trusted.

And LinuxCNC is not attractive only to cost-sensitive customers. There
are many more selling points, including, but not limited to:
1) as mentioned before - cost of software - NONE;
2) since LinuxCNC is about being "smart controller on dumb hardware",
it works on simple hardware (for example, it does not require closing
feedback loop in servo controller etc), which also is more
cost-effective than compared to other alternatives (can You get a 2kW
AC servo drive for 240$ (meaning 8i20) for any other CNC controller?);
3) customer is not locked in with a particular vendor/service provider
- any other integrator can take over maintenance of my machines (I am
trying to comment the contents of HAL files mainly for myself to
understand them also few years later, when customer might ask to
change something - add new functions etc, but that would help any
other person to understand, what is going on there);
4) LinuxCNC is so flexible, that it can control all the possible CNC
machines in a [typical] workshop, thus having all the machines the
same controls (probably with slightly different screens) is easier for
operators and there is less chance for a mistake, and preparing the
code also is easier - the same g-code commands mean the same on all
machines, no need for fancy post-processor per each machine, even if
it is needed, then one for all the machines;
5) and it is so advanced that it can easily control all kinds of
robots and other "nasty" machines with complicated kinematics and
require no CAM postprocessor at all;

If I (well, my company) ever grow large enough, I would have my own
examples to show potential customers, but now some external page would
be helpful.

I completely agree with Kent - such a page would help "marketing"
LinuxCNC. In a non-profit manner, where marketing is supposed to
increase number of users (and hopefully active developers). That is
traditional thinking that marketing function is only generate revenue.
I would say that marketing is about drawing attention and increasing
awareness of potential customers.

2012/3/17 Jan de Kruyf <jan.de.kr...@gmail.com>:

> We will need some real clean shiny pictures though. Close-ups work very
> well.
> Are there volunteers?

I would like add that welding robot I built. I have some videos with
it in action (so links to Youtube could be pasted), but I have no
access to it to make pictures.

Viesturs