andy pugh wrote:
> On 22 November 2012 11:26, Dave Caroline <dave.thearchiv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Current encoder inputs need 50% ratio
>> Some cleaning/retiming required
>>

> I can't decide if it is a special case of counter mode, or a whole new
> component.

It actually gets fairly complicated!  To handle the missing tooth, you
need to have
a tracking counter (or whatever) that keeps track of the recent time
between pulses,
so it knows how long a gap is going to be the missing pulse.  When the
instantaneous
change in velocity is large, like at spindle reversal, then you are
likely to miss
one of those pulses.  So, my guess is it can work well for a lathe
spindle running
at nearly constant speed, but may not work well at all for rigid
tapping.  I'd be real
skeptical it could work at all in that case.  Also, with a range of
BASE_PERIOD
timings, detecting the 45 vs 90 us pulse width might be a bit tricky.
If used on
a fast machine with a 20 us BASE_PERIOD or less, it should be fine.

Generally, I just don't see the advantage of going to a single
sensor/single wire
scheme when there are so many potential pitfalls.  Anyway, it would take
some
serious work to make sure this is completely reliable.  Most parallel
ports have
5 input lines, so that should be enough for the E-stop, limit switches and
leaves 3 for a quadrature encoder.

One other comment, with a 90 us pulse width from the sensor, and
assuming some
reserve, so assume pulses should never come faster than every 180 us, that
is 5556 pulses/second.  If you assume a gear with 100 teeth, that is
55 RPS or 3333 RPM.  So, this should work on most lathes with up to
100 tooth gears on the spindle, but might be a limitation on small mills.
(Well, they might have fewer gear teeth, anyway.)

Jon