On Thursday 22 November 2012 23:03:13 andy pugh did opine:

> On 22 November 2012 20:51, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
> > Generally, I just don't see the advantage of going to a single
> > sensor/single wire
> > scheme when there are so many potential pitfalls.
>
> The single-wire is just a side-effect of using an encoder wheel that
> is readily available and has a big centre bore.
>
> To buy the crank code-wheel new is not that cheap ($100) but there
> ought to be many in the junkyards now. The correct pickups are less
> likely to exist, but those are $17.

Since the requirement is that its ferrous, I seen no reason that can't be a
milling machine project.  Depends on what one thinks his time is worth I
suppose. :)

Cheers, Gene
It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of
work to do.
                -- Jerome Klapka Jerome