Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> Seems to me a resolver would be the best choice for position on start up.
> Velocity could be derived also. A resolver on the cam and crank could tell
> you the next piston to reach tdc
You check the price on a resolver, lately?  The problem is a wound-rotor
brushless resolver
is pretty expensive to make.  The bigger they are, the more expensive, too.
Variable reluctance resolvers are cheaper, as there are no windings on
the rotor, and
so can be made arbitrarily large.  but, those have multiple poles/rev,
and so you
don't get absolute crank position at power-on.  So, from a cost
standpoint, alone,
I don't think the auto makers are going to go to a resolver over a cheap
solid state
sensor.  One absolute sensor on the cam would be all you'd need, they have
plenty of resolution.

Jon