On 23 November 2012 14:26, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

>> The target wheels we have on our engines are _not_ ferrous. They are a
>> magnetic track and the crank sensor has no internal magnet.
>> (I can't find that actual sensor on the Allegro site).
>
> For a hall sensor to work, there must be a magnetic field for it to sense.

Yes, there is a ring of non-ferrous magnetic plastic stuff (like very
thick cassette tape) round the periphery.
Basically just like this stuff:
http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/high-accuracy-magnetic-linear-tape.html
But applied to the disc prior to the the pattern being applied.

> Not all steels are magnetic though

Yes, I know. I have a PhD in ferrous metallurgy.

I've lost interest. Everyone with an opinon seems to think this is a
bad idea. I have no need for it, so I won't bother.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.