On 12/26/2015 09:33 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>>> No problem. If you ensure that the chassis connection is firm and
>>> electrically sound, then you just ommit the earth wire (my comment in
>>> the drawing).
>> One more comment. If you are unsure that the internal earth/chassis
>> connection in the VFD controller holds, then you usually see a
>> connection as seen in the attached image. A short thick wire is run from
>> the earth screw connection to one of the chassis mounting bolts.
> I'm assuming I can just screw the port powered isolator to the PC port
> and run a shielded cable from the VFD to the isolator?

Yes, that is the idea. The port-powered devices are running on the power
supplied by the TX line of each direction, so that should work in both
directions (assuming both ends are RS232 compatible ports).

The shield should be connected on one side only and that should be on
the VFD side.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)