John,
So if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting using
LinuxCNC computer to communicate via CANBUS or MODBUS
long distance remotely with the dust collectors?

The way I have it set up is: The dust collectors are suspended from the ceiling, but I have all the solenoid wires coming to a central location electrical panel
that also holds the VFD's for starting and stopping the motors.
I run the VFD's at half speed while doing the reverse pulse.
So all the pulse control can be at the central electrical panel.

-Earl