Pulse cleaning on commercial filter systems is accomplished with a blast of
compressed air. The systems usually have large diameter air valves and piping
leading from an accumulator to the clean side of the filter. The valves are
triggered in stages, so that each stage receives the full volume of the
accumulated air.

Ideally you want the blower to be stopped while cleaning takes place, so that
the dust falls into the hopper instead of being sucked back into the filter. So
a good practice is to run a cleaning cycle after every shutdown. Some systems
also run a cleaning cycle based on system vacuum between the blower and filter.
In this case you sometimes can’t stop the filter, so you would slow it down as
a compromise while the cleaning takes place, as the OP described.