Earl,
Yes.  My zip file with the Python code and xml for the pyvcp_options are now
here:
http://www.autoartisans.com/CAN/LinuxCANopen.zip
I was suggesting CAN bus only because I've been using it since 1992 and so for
me it's pretty easy.  But the example was more to show how you can send
commands through a serial port to a device.  If it's a CANUSB then the serial
information is formatted to create CAN message.  If it's MODBUS the information
is formatted to create MODBUS messages.

Here's an example of Arduino code for Modbus.
https://docs.arduino.cc/learn/communication/modbus

This is one of the things I found searching LinuxCNC and MODBUS.
https://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/drivers/mb2hal.html

It likely should be pretty easy in LinuxCNC.  In MACH3 it was almost trivial to
talk to MODBUS devices.
John