On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 21:49:46 -0500 Youness Alaoui
> <kakar...@kakaroto.homelinux.net> said:
>
> WE were asked to generate the tarballs. WE... not him. if he wants
> tarballs he
> can make them himself. i would never have said no. i can't and won't stop
> him -
> he can make the tarballs all he likes! but WE were asked to make them. that
> means one of us - presumably me, has to generate them UPLOAD them and then
> TELL
> SOMEONE they are uploaded and exist! if HE wants tarballs and wants to
> build
> them himself.. absolutely. go ahead! by all means! he can also just use
> make
> dist which is simpler. but that isn't what was asked for.

1 - read what I wrote, I said that for now he used the script, until the
script gets put on a server on which I don't have access
2 - why "presumably me" ?

> [...]
> > proved that you can create a simple script that does it. Who asked for
> any
> > announcements? who even asked for uploads? The guy used my script to
> > generate the tarballs from svn on his own machine and then used the
> > tarballs in his build system and was happy about it. Ideally, the script
> > should run on a server in a cron job and copy the files to a publically
> > available directory, I'm not uploading the files because I don't have
> > access to such server. But that is outside the scope of what was asked, I
> > helped him get what he wanted, he's happy about it, he'll continue
> porting
> > to BSD or whatever he wants to do with it. In the end, we didn't lose a
> > contributor, and that's the final goal that was reached (who btw said
> that
> > he got demotivated after talking to you because of the way you spoke).
> > Of course, it's less useful than a make distcheck, that's why an actual
> > build system would be needed for continuous integration checks, but that
> is
> > besides the point. They wanted a tarball, I provided a tarball, nothing
> > more, nothing less.
> > Stop assuming what the other person wants, and then make judgment calls
> on
> > what you think they may or may not want. That's not how you can build
> your
> > community, by closing all doors in the face of everyone who wants to
> help.
>
> dude... did you READ AT ALL WHAT VTORRI ASKED FOR? my god! you really want
> just run around with your opinions without ever reading the facts. they
> asked
> to HAVE daily snapshots. they aren't asking how THEY can do it themselves.
> they
> are asking for them to BE done for them. you OFFERED an alternative.
>
> man - YOU demotivate ME. your snide comments, grandstanding on your soapbox
> without ever bothering to READ the discussion or facts at hand - which you
> very
> clearly didn't bother to read, or your understanding of english is not so
> great. when someone asks to have snapshots - they ask for tarballs, which
> need
> to be generated and uploaded. we can generate them on the server, but a
> cron
> job is no better than a random svn checkout done by them. if you READ the
> emails and READ the irc discussion you might have the facts.
>
> on email i asked what's so hard about svn. on irc i got the response that
> they
> have no idea when to svn checkout because they don't know if it works or
> not.
> put that together with a cron job either done by them OR us is the same
> thing.
> nothing has improved.
>
> pointless email as you're simply not reading the actual content.

you don't seem to read what I wrote, you ignore the facts.. the facts are
not the commits or how bad they were, the facts were your attitude and
condescending bullshit. but yeah,you don't seem to be able to acknowledge
that, since you're perfect and everyone else is wrong.

Thank you Vincent and Gustavo for sharing your concerns about this, and
it's too sad that the new contributor has become another victim of raster's
poor social skills. That's what I wanted to avoid, that's what I wanted
raster to understand, and I was hoping for him to reply with something like
"sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my purpose" and that's it, the guy
stays with us, but I guess raster has too much pride and is too
self-centered to recognize his own faults.
I think I will follow Vincent's advice and not reply to this thread
anymore, raster clearly showed he has no comprehension of what people are
trying to tell him here, so this is just an endless drama with no possible
resolution.